Do you want to study in Germany but are unsure about the best German health insurance for international students? You are not alone.
Many international students face the same dilemma when they plan to move to Germany for their studies. Health insurance is mandatory in Germany, and there are two types of health insurance: public and private. Public health insurance, or statutory health insurance, is most students’ most common and affordable option.
However, some students may prefer private health insurance, which offers more flexibility, benefits, and higher costs.
International students in Germany can opt for affordable public health insurance (AOK, TK, Barmer) for comprehensive coverage or pricier private options (Feather Insurance, Dr. Walter) offering customization. The choice depends on budget and individual needs.
Explore top private health insurance for international students. Understand public vs. private options in Germany, choosing the best coverage for your needs and budget.
By the end of this post, you will have a clear idea of what kind of health insurance coverage you need and how to get it.
Related article: 5 Best German Health Insurance in 2023
Private Health Insurance Companies for International Students in Germany
Private student health insurance in Germany, often called private health insurance or private health insurance companies, plays a vital role, especially for international students.
According to commonwealthfund.org, the majority (86%) of the population in Germany relies on public health insurance or statutory health insurance (GKV). However, approximately 11% opt for private health insurance to fulfill health insurance coverage needs. International students in Germany must have appropriate health insurance to meet visa requirements.
Private health insurance companies provide tailored options within the German health insurance system, offering more flexibility in coverage and services, making them a popular choice for those seeking specialized healthcare solutions. The best options for international students include Feather Insurance and DR. Walter.
Feather Insurance is a notable health insurance company operating in Germany. They specialize in providing a wide range of insurance solutions to cater to the diverse needs of their clientele.
Whether you’re looking for private health insurance, public health insurance, or comprehensive student health insurance coverage, Feather Insurance has you covered. Their commitment to transparency and ease of use sets them apart in the insurance landscape.
The price of comprehensive public insurance for students is 105 EUR per month. You can sign up for additional dental insurance for better dental care, covering ALL your needs and wants at the dentist’s office for just 9 EUR per month.
Highlights of Feather Private Insurance
1. Comprehensive Student Health Insurance in Germany: Feather Insurance offers various health insurance products, including private health insurance and dental liability. This ensures clients find a tailored plan that suits their individual healthcare needs, giving them peace of mind in the ever-evolving healthcare landscape.
2. Empowering You to Choose Private Health Insurance: Feather Insurance’s services empower clients to make informed decisions about their health coverage. Their unbiased advice allows you to explore the benefits of a private insurance plan, providing you with a customized health insurance policy that aligns with your unique requirements.
3. Trusted Health Insurance Company: Feather Insurance collaborates with reputable providers in the German insurance market. This partnership ensures that clients have access to the most trusted and reliable options available, making it easier for them to navigate the complexities of the healthcare system.
My Take on Feather Private Insurance
Feather Insurance’s commitment to transparency and comprehensive insurance coverage is commendable. Their ability to assist clients in making informed decisions regarding private health insurance is a valuable service in an industry often fraught with complexity.
For those seeking a reliable insurance company in Germany, Feather Insurance’s collaboration with trusted providers gives clients peace of mind. It’s a great option for those looking for private healthcare solutions and tailored insurance plans to suit their unique healthcare needs.
However, clients looking for extremely customized plans or the lowest prices may want to explore other options.
Feather Insurance stands out in a complex health insurance landscape. Its commitment to transparency, ease of use, and access to reputable providers ensures a significant benefit for those seeking robust coverage.
Dr. Walter Health Insurance is a well-established private health insurance provider in Germany.
In a country with both public and private health insurance, Dr. Walter specializes in comprehensive private health insurance. This distinction offers individuals more choice and tailored coverage for their healthcare needs.
Costs are very affordable, too; the student policy starts from 33 EUR per month. EDUCARE24 is the cheapest package.
Highlights of Their Private Health Insurance Policy
1. Choice and Flexibility: Dr. Walter Health Insurance allows clients to choose private health insurance over Germany’s standard public health insurance system. This means they have greater control over their healthcare and can select coverage that suits their unique requirements.
2. Tailored Coverage: The company’s private health insurance policies are designed to cater to the diverse needs of its customers. This personalized approach ensures that clients get medical and dental treatment that aligns with their preferences and circumstances.
3. Enhanced Access: Opting for private health insurance through Dr. Walter allows individuals to enjoy the benefits of the student healthcare system with greater ease. This includes shorter waiting times, access to a broader network of healthcare providers, and a higher level of service.
My Take on This German Health Insurance Provider
Dr. Walter Health Insurance provides an excellent option for individuals in Germany seeking private health insurance. Their emphasis on customization and flexibility gives clients greater control over their healthcare decisions and access to medical and dental treatments.
While private health insurance comes with a cost, the benefits of service and tailored coverage can outweigh the expenses for those who can afford it.
However, it’s essential to consider individual eligibility and budget constraints when choosing private insurance over the public health insurance system in the German healthcare landscape.
Public Health Insurance Providers in Germany
Related article: Is Healthcare Free in Germany?
Public health insurance is a crucial component of the German healthcare system, and it is a mandatory requirement by law for all legal residents in the country, including citizens and international students.
Germany has a highly developed healthcare system, and this public health insurance scheme makes access to medical treatment possible. The German healthcare system is renowned for its efficiency, quality, and comprehensive coverage.
Public student health insurance in Germany is provided by various public health insurance companies, also known as health insurers. These organizations are central in ensuring individuals access essential medical services and treatments.
The cost of public health insurance can vary depending on an individual’s situation. But according to germany-visa.org, it generally ranges from EUR 120 to EUR 200 per month. This cost may differ based on income, employment status, and the specific health insurer chosen.
All legal residents in Germany, whether employed, self-employed or students, must have health insurance. This requirement extends to expatriates and foreign students who come to Germany.
In fact, proof of student health insurance is an essential part of the German student visa application process and course enrollment.
There are many German public health insurance providers available for international students. Some of them are AOK, Techniker Krankenkasse – TK, and Barmer.
Related article: How To Switch From Private To Public Health Insurance in Germany?
AOK (Allgemeine Ortskrankenkasse) is one of the notable providers of public student health insurance in Germany. The company provides extensive coverage, making it reliable for expat and German residents’ health insurance needs. Prioritizing member satisfaction, they offer affordable healthcare options.
Highlights of this Private Healthcare Option:
1. Comprehensive Coverage: AOK’s public health insurance plans encompass various medical treatments, ensuring you and your family receive the necessary care. This includes coverage for essential services like dental treatment, prescription medicine, and more.
2. Accessibility for Expats: AOK doesn’t just cater to German citizens; it is also a viable choice for expatriates. Their user-friendly online platform in English offers clear information on the German health insurance system. They also provide multilingual support via a service hotline, making it easier for expats to navigate the system’s complexities.
3. Customized Pricing: AOK calculates health insurance premiums based on your income, contributing to the affordability of their plans. The 14.6 percent contribution from your gross income for public health insurance ensures access to healthcare.
The average additional contribution of 1.3 percent ensures you receive quality coverage. The public student insurance at AOK will cost you 103,19 EUR. I was their customer for a long time and never had any problems.
My Take: Is This the Best Option for Self-Employed?
In my opinion, AOK offers a well-rounded package for individuals seeking reliable public student health insurance in Germany. Their comprehensive coverage, accessibility for expats, and user-friendly online resources make them a strong contender in the market.
The focus on affordability through income-based pricing ensures that healthcare is accessible to many individuals. However, the regional variations in offerings and the income-dependent additional contribution should be carefully considered.
Overall, AOK appears to be a sound choice for those looking to navigate the German health insurance system efficiently and cost-effectively.
Related article: German Public Health Insurance: All You Need To Know
Unlock worry-free health coverage with Techniker Krankenkasse, your gateway to comprehensive care. Experience a blend of efficiency and reliability, tailored to your well-being. Health assurance, redefined.
Techniker Krankenkasse (TK) is Germany’s largest public health insurer, boasting an impressive 10 million policyholders. TK plays a significant role in the German public health insurance scheme, offering a broad array of services, making it a compelling choice for those needing medical treatment.
The cost for TK health insurance is the same as the policies mentioned before, which comes to between 103,94 EUR and 105 EUR per month (depending on some factors).
Moreover, it fulfills all the health insurance requirements for a German visa application, a valuable resource for expats.
Highlights of this Health Insurer
1. Comprehensive Coverage: TK stands out for providing great coverage encompassing a wide range of medical treatments, ensuring that policyholders can access the care they need. Whether it’s outpatient medical treatment, dental treatment, or prescription medicine, TK has you covered.
2. Ease of Access for Expats: For expatriates looking for German public health insurance, TK offers an efficient online application process that usually results in confirmation within two working days. This is especially helpful in meeting visa application requirements.
3. Highly Rated: TK has consistently been rated as the best public health insurer in numerous comparisons. Winning the title of Germany’s best health insurance fund for 17 consecutive years showcases the trustworthiness and quality of their services.
My Take on This Public Health Insurers
Techniker Krankenkasse (TK) emerges as a robust and trustworthy choice for public student health insurance in Germany. Their affordability, comprehensive coverage, and additional services position them well in the market.
The nearly two decades of recognition as Germany’s best health insurance fund attests to their consistent quality.
While TK is an ideal choice for many, especially expats looking for comprehensive health insurance in compliance with visa requirements, it’s essential to consider that its services might have some limitations, particularly regarding outpatient care choices.
Overall, TK appears to be a solid choice for individuals seeking reliable healthcare coverage in Germany.
Related article: Dog Health Insurance in Germany
Your health’s steadfast guardian. Elevate your well-being with Germany’s premier statutory public health insurance. Unrivaled coverage, seamless service—nurturing your health, empowering your life.
Barmer is one of Germany’s largest statutory health insurance providers, catering to over 8.5 million policyholders. Their extensive network of branch offices ensures accessibility and customer support.
The company is deeply rooted in regional care structures, fostering connections with doctors, hospitals, and other healthcare partners. Barmer’s public health insurance for students costs 108,77 EUR per month.
1. Holistic Coverage: Barmer takes care of all your medically necessary healthcare services and treatments. This encompasses routine visits to healthcare providers and specialists to approve hospital stays and rehabilitation facilities.
2. Additional Services: Barmer goes the extra mile with various supplementary services, such as preventive care, rehabilitation, fitness programs, and hospital benefits. They also offer free screening examinations for the whole family, enhancing their commitment to your well-being.
3. Pre-Existing Conditions: Barmer’s policy of not denying coverage for pre-existing conditions is a significant advantage for those with prior health concerns. This inclusive approach ensures access to vital medical care.
My Take on This Public Health Insurers
Barmer’s commitment to providing comprehensive public health insurance coverage is evident through its extensive services and network. Their inclusive approach to covering pre-existing conditions is a commendable feature, ensuring access to healthcare for all.
However, weighing the relatively higher contribution rate against the additional services provided is essential.
Barmer offers robust coverage in the German public health system, prioritizing inclusivity and aligning with the country’s principles. Individuals pay half the insurance costs while enjoying comprehensive medical services.
It’s crucial to consider your circumstances and preferences when choosing between public and private insurance and whether the additional insurance coverage and services offered by Barmer align with your specific healthcare needs.
Public or Private Insurance: How to Choose The Best Option?
When it comes to choosing between public and private insurance, it’s crucial to make an informed decision based on your unique needs and circumstances. Here are five essential steps to help you make the right choice:
1. Assess Your Needs
Start by evaluating your specific requirements. Consider factors such as your health, budget, and lifestyle. Are you self-employed or part of a company that offers health insurance? Do you have dependent family members? Understand the extent of coverage you need, including dental insurance, nursing care insurance, and travel health insurance.
2. Understand the Public Insurance System
Research your country’s public healthcare system. Find out what it covers, including the healthcare costs and services provided. Be aware of the limitations and waiting times associated with public insurance and whether you are eligible for a European Health Insurance Card in Europe.
3. Explore Options of Private Insurers
Check private health insurance policies available in your region. Look for a student health insurance company or private insurers if you’re in Germany. Evaluate the coverage, such as private hospital rooms and the monthly premium. Consider the extent of coverage for services not included in the public system, such as dental and nursing care.
4. Compare Costs
Compare the costs of public and private insurance. Consider the monthly premium for each option and weigh it against your budget. Don’t forget to consider travel insurance needs if you frequently travel internationally.
5. Make an Informed Decision
After careful consideration, choose private insurance if it better aligns with your needs and financial situation. Obtain your health insurance policy, health insurance card, and health insurance certificate as necessary. If you opt for public insurance, ensure you understand how to enroll and maximize your public health insurance policy.
Choosing between public and private insurance depends on your requirements and preferences. By following these steps, you can make an informed decision and secure the right coverage for your healthcare needs.
Final Thoughts About The Best German Health Insurance for International Students
In conclusion, choosing the best student health insurance for international students is a critical decision that depends on your specific needs and circumstances. Public health insurance provides comprehensive coverage within the German system, while private options like Feather Insurance and Dr. Walter offer flexibility and tailored solutions.
It’s essential to assess your requirements, understand the public insurance system, compare costs, and make an informed choice.
If you want to learn more about the best student health insurance in Germany, please click the links in the article to access more resources and details. By doing so, you will also help us keep this blog afloat and provide you with more valuable content in the future.